The fort is built on a strategic height that dominates the valley of the Meuse, which had been occupied by a Carthusian (Ordre des Chartreux) monastery until the French Revolution. The fort was built by the Dutch, who at the time administered southern Belgium. The fort was abandoned as a fortification by the military in 1891 and was thereafter used as a barracks. From 1914 to 1918 the Germans used it as a prison, and again from 1940 to 1944. In 1944-1945 it was used by the Americans as a military hospital. The Belgian army left the site in 1988.
| Attributes | Values |
|---|---|
| rdf:type | |
| rdfs:label |
|
| rdfs:comment |
|
| sameAs | |
| dcterms:subject | |
| dbkwik:military/pr...iPageUsesTemplate | |
| Partof | |
| map size |
|
| open to public |
|
| Name |
|
| Type |
|
| Caption |
|
| Battles | |
| Condition |
|
| Ownership |
|
| Latitude |
|
| map type |
|
| Longitude |
|
| controlledby |
|
| Materials |
|
| Location |
|
| abstract |
|